Sunday, January 18, 2009

Review: WEN Haircare

WEN Haircare is one of the latest late night infomercials to pop up. It's creator, Chaz Dean, who is a"stylist to the stars" appears with various celebs who supposedly use this unique product.

What it is: A somewhat creamy hair conditioner AND cleanser. This is a two in one product that cleanses your hair and also conditions it. It claims to have restorative properties and not strip your hair (great for those who color). You're supposed to use several (like 14 or 16 pumps of it per use), massage it in, leave it during your shower and then rinse. The voila! Shiny, bouncy, conditioned hair like never before, right?

Well, not so fast. I have curly, fine hair. It's generally not limp and I have a fair amount so it doesn't look superfine. I color and heat style so I definitely need condition and softness, but not frizz. This product seemed to work pretty well--at first. Then after about a month or so of use (every other day), I felt I really needed to SHAMPOO. It's not that my hair felt dirty, on the contrary, it felt clean, but it seemed dry and lifeless. It was like straw on the ends. I wondered how that could happen when you're essentially just using a straight conditioner and no shampoo. I found I really needed to shampoo some day, but use WEN when I felt I only needed a light cleansing.

A couple positives: It smells great. I like the Almond Mint and Cucumber Aloe. I also used the Lavender, which was OK, but not my favorite. It does work well as a leave-in conditioner on your ends when you feel you just need a little extra softness there. My favorite use for this product is suggested by Mr. Dean himself in the literature that came with my order: Fill a spray bottle 3/4 full with warm water, add several squirts of WEN, shake and use as a refreshener or touch up spray. I use it this way lots of times but whose to say another light conditioner formula wouldn't work just as well. (Yeah, this stuff is pricey, too.)

Bottom line, it's fun to try, but if you have favorite products right now, I wouldn't jump ship to WEN. It's pricey, mail-order only and doesn't (at least for me) work quite as well as I'd hope. Not a bad product by any means, but not the savior for limp, dry, hair so many of us seek.
Visit: www.agelessbeautypro.com

No comments: